History of our YMCA

1888: Findlay YMCA Incorporated – Located on East Main Cross Street.

1897: moved to the Cass Building on South Main Street. – Moved to East Sandusky St.

1935: The Findlay YMCA bought Camp Sandusky

1960: Fire destroyed the YMCA building at East Sandusky Street.

1964: A new facility built on the corner of East Lincoln St. and East St.

1970: A gymnasium, two more handball/racquetball courts and pool were added .

1970’s: Land purchased for camp programming, later named after Ray Mosshart, General Secretary of the YMCA from 1933-1979.

1981: The Findlay Racquet Center purchased by the YMCA

1994: In October the YMCA enlists the help of the community to develop its first five-year Strategic Plan, resulting in six major goals being identified in the areas of

a. Facility Development                d. Membership Development
b. Program Development              e. Marketing
c. Financial Development              f. Personnel Development

A committee structure identified 59 action steps, which they believed would have to be accomplished in order to achieve the six goals identified in the plan before the year 2000.

1995: Expands in house child care from 40 children to 75 children in response to the most recent U.W. Needs Assessment

1996: The YMCA expands childcare services again and renovates the facility to accommodate up to 193 children in house. Planning for a capital campaign begins with a Community Program Needs Assessment.

1998: YMCA purchases and renovates the Marathon Oil Pipeline facility and the YMCA Child Development Center opens and serves over 300 children daily

1999: Capital Campaign and Renovations to the Downtown facility begin

2000: By September a successful capital campaign raised $6,500,000 and $7,200,000 was invested in the renovation and expansion of the downtown facilities.

2001: The new facility opens in June

2002: An East Branch development Committee was formed to start gathering data from the community regarding the planned development of the East Branch facility.

2003: After conducting a community Program Needs Assessment the East Branch Development Committee provided results to the YMCA Administrative Board and a plan for renovations was begun. The YMCA hired Charles Associates, Inc. to perform as Construction Manager to the project. Work began on Phase I and Phase II of the intended renovationsShow All »